Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Brussels - Baires Connection

(Update: this lovely joint has closed.)


The solution to the "Real Breakfast Problem" in Buenos Aires?  No, probably not.

But Gaufrerie Royal at Marcelo T. de Alvear 944 goes a long way toward getting the desayuno monkey off your back!

Waffles, bi#©£¢§!  Lovely, fluffy, toasty, crunchy waffles ...that are available with eggs and maybe the best smoked bacon I've ever tasted in our fair city!  Great coffee, too!

Todos los waffles are available with everything else you might imagine, too... like crème fraiche, fruit, whipped cream, maramalade, dulce de leche, ice cream, etc... and some things you might not associate with waffles... like ham and cheese or thick Belgian advocaat.

This adorable boliche opened 4 months ago in an untrendy zone in Retiro right off Av. 9 de Julio.  A place that has begun to fill up with interesting eateries. I chuckled at their "Buenos Aires - Bruselas"-bearing logo... until our attentive waiter told us that the owner is from Brussels and owns a Gaufrerie Royal there too!

My missus decided to usher in the first day of spring with the plain waffle with scrambled eggs and bacon.  Incredible bacon.

As for myself, it was crème fraiche with a lingonberry-like mermelada and coffee.  Stealing some of the wife's bacon gave it the perfect salty, smokey pig note.

Scrumptious and satisfying.  Much more and at such high quality and service than you have a right to expect for 46 pesos for everything.

Even though it's only steps from my digs, I first heard about the waffle house from Fred of SilverStarCar last night at Drinking Liberally.  He mentioned the beautiful old Siam icebox that anchors the room.  I was surprised that I hadn´t noticed it before.

There's hardly anything on the internet regarding it, either.  Googling "waffles in Buenos Aires" gets you nowhere.  "Gaufrerie Royal", on the other hand, will get you one page.

You might even walk right by the cute little joint if you're not careful.  The best landmark I can give you is that it's right across the street from The Temple Bar (don´t go in, you know how you are.)

Now before you all start asking how a red-blooded HE-man of a yanq like your faithful blogger could suggest a dainty waffle place with candelabras and chandeliers... let's talk about that OTHER great Belgian breakfast contribution: BEER!

Oh, yes... including what I think is quite possibly the world's best beer, Duvel!  At 23 pesos (less than 6 bucks) you probably can't buy it cheaper in the US.

And it doesn´t stop there ...the beer list currently offers fellow Belgians Hoegaarden and Leffe Negra ...and two great Argentine Otro Mundos ...at 14 pesos each.

Celebrating ...or just "puttin' the brunch on" in grand style?  A well-chilled bottle of Mumm's is only 50 pesos.  That won't last once the owner gets back from Brussels!

Gaufrerie Royal Waffle House
Marcelo T. de Alvear 944
Tel: 4326-3022
Monday thru Friday 10am to 8pm
Saturday 12pm to 8pm

4 comments:

Miki said...

I definitely want to go and check this place now! Yum! I'm hungry and I've already had breakfast ...

Miki.

Notes From ABroad said...

Weeping with gratitude :) I thank you for this.
I make lousy pancakes from scratch so I will go let the Belgians do it for me.
We are ordering tortillas also .. thanks for that again!
chau! C

ps-
Poor Fred, that beautiful car rolled out of a garage on Las Heras and we were standing waiting to cross the street, I knew who was inside, though I could not see , but I still stood there grinning like a loon, because I knew it was Fred ! lol.

Ginger Gentile said...

Yummy! There is also a waffle place in San Telmo that just opened, very good, but a bit expensive for such a small waffle.
Estados Unidos near the corner of Bolivar.

yanqui mike said...

Hi Ginger!

Is that the place people are calling Waffles del Sur?

Mike