Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Be Honest: Would you Buy Grass-fed Beef from this Man?

It was on, then it was off.  Then it was a long time comin', then it was off.

Then it looked hopeless ...now it's really on!

As of Saturday, Yer Faithful Blogger/Rancher will have his own abattoir (slaughterhouse for you less squeamish.)  I´ll be sharing it with a few other local ranchers ...but the main thang is that my cattle will only have to ride 25km/15.5 miles to meet their yummy nourishing fate instead of hundreds of kilometers of rough, traumatizing journey.  That short ride was an absolute requirement on my part ...we turned-down a lot of offers from slaughterhouses much farther away.

So ...would you actually buy grass-fed beef that came from the most humanely-raised, least-stressed, boutique-slaughtered bovines available?

I´m thinking that you would not.  Be honest.  Am I wrong?

My bidness-plan says that the price would not necessarily be higher than your local Buenos Aires Capital supermercado or carnecería ...but I have never been convinced that there is a local market for "The Beef that Made Argentina Famous."

My biggest worry is that Argentines don´t really care about grass-fed beef ...as long as it's cheap and plentiful, this once-great beef nation seems quite satisfied with "causchwitz" beef.

The expat market is not big enough to consider on most levels ...although, porteños do like to know what the foreigners are raving about.  "Caveman Diet" aficionados, however, have offered encouragement.

So ...help me out here.  Would you go out of your way to buy real, natural, grass-fed beef more than once?  Why would you?  Why wouldn't you?  How receptive would you be to hamburger and other non-steak cuts that require a bit of kitchen know-how to prepare?

Be brutal...

4 comments:

Demian said...

I'll give it a try, if it is accessible of course, near Palermo? many people working out at gyms such as crossfit or similar would be glad to know that we can have healthier meet, to know where it comes from and the way its handled.

David Sauermann said...

Hey Man, as you know i was raised on grass fed beef in South Africa and grew up making my famous Biltong there too; keep us posted on how , what and where to get and we'll be shopping up a storm !!

Carrie said...

We're always looking for healthier ways to source our food, so if you are talking about hormone free meat, then I'd be interested. We tend to buy ground meat a bit too since it's easier to use for cooking with little kids. Have you considered some sort of delivery service? That might be a way to get around the issue of having people travel far to buy. I would be Ok with paying a reasonable delivery fee. We live in Palermo.

Jackie said...

Please!!! Tell us where and how! One of the (many) reasons I moved here years ago was for the fabled pampas beef and I can't believe that the feedlot system is ruining this meaty paradise just like it ruined beef back home. Bring back the grass fed!