Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cast Iron Update / Recipe Request!

Of course, it's big.  Of course, it's black.  Of course, it's heavy and has a mythic place in culinary history ...but I was unprepared at how GOOD it is!

Factory pre-seasoning had a bad-reputation about 10 years ago ...but this time, I didn´t care.  I bought it anyway.  If the pre-seasoning was no good, I could always throw it into the campfire and burn everything off at about 1000F.  Then, I could try my hand at seasoning it myself.

But WOW this stuff is INCREDIBLE right out of the box.  I experimented with cooking a couple of things ...and they slid right off like teflon.  After 3 or 4 uses, I fried a couple of cackleberries and the results were probably better than non-stick!

Like I mentioned last week, I don´t know why it took so long for a cast-iron skillet factory to figger-out that THEY were in a much better position to do the seasoning than the average home cook.

I can´t say enough about cast-iron cookware that is non-stick right out of the box.  My Missus is nothing less than thrilled and wants to get rid of all our teflon stuff.  I never thought she would even like it!  For her, I think, the conversion occurred when she "roasted" some bell peppers on the hot iron.  That incredibly high heat really did something to cause them to be way more flavorful.

NOW I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP:  Do you make great cornbread?  Do you have a recipe that is not a closely guarded family secret?

My cornbread sucks ...always has.  I´m a good cook, maybe even a great one ...but there are a couple two three things that elude my abilities.  I guess that if you can´t find it in an average restaurant kitchen, I´m no good at it (e.g. I was almost 40 before I mastered cooking over a an open-fire.)

Full disclosure: although my Yankee pedigree is impeccable, I prefer Southern cornbread.  I have to agree with my otherwise misguided rebel brethren that, up north, it's too sweet and too wheat-floury.  I prefer cornbread that is savory and gets its sweetness from all the butter I intend to slather it in.

Even more specifically, the recipe should include the necessary step of beginning the process in a cast-iron skillet on the stove top.  Oven-finishing, is OK.

Of course, here in Argentina, during a world-wide corn crop failure, I may be forced to use whatever cornmeal I can find.  Please include how finely or coarsely the cornmeal should be ground ...I´ll take it from there!

Thanks in advance ...and, if you wanna, you can follow my efforts on quora.com!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just bought myself a Lodge 12" and 6" fry pan from academy sports when I was in the US last week.