Friday, December 23, 2011

Neighborhoods in Buenos Aires

Although about half of my life is lived deep in the countryside where cellphone coverage is rather new and we still don´t have "real" electricity yet ...I spend the other half living very close to what you might call "downtown" Buenos Aires.

Now I´ve always been a city boy ...but even after emigrating here from Chicago, I´m still amazed at how urban this place is.  Other than maybe downtown Manhattan, I don´t think there is anywhere in the US with this kind of population density.

Of course, that kind of density is not everyone´s cup of tea (Jesus Christ, Mildred!  Millions of those poor bastards all livin' on TOP of each other!) ...and some days it does seem a little overbearing during rush-hours.  However, density does bring its conveniences.

I think it could even "play in Peoria" ...after all, in a city this big and dense, every little sub-neighborhood roughly equates to a small midwestern town.  The biggest difference being that within only a half a dozen square blocks you can find a vibrance that small-town mainstreet hasn´t shown for half a century.

Tonight, my missus sent me to the all-night pharmacy for a cold remedy ...and it was such an easy task that I came back an drew you a map of my 'hood.

H marks our home on the sixth (seventh, in the US) floor of our building.
B is a great bar with microbrews and open-air seating.
C is a little store that sells beer-to-go 24 hours a day.
D marks a couple of locations that sell great hotdogs.
E is our parking garage.
F is a 24 hour pharmacy.
G marks three groceries ...one of which is actually two-in-one, it has one of those great vegetable markets next door.  Imagine!  Urban people ususally have trouble getting to a grocery ...I choose from four (there is actually a fifth one in my barrio which I never go to.)
I is a terrific, old-fashioned neighborhood ice cream store.  I don´t think there´s a better one in town.
K, is a 24 hour convenience store where I can pickup cigs and sodas and few other such things.  They don´t even close for holidays!
P is a great pizzeria that delivers.
R is a barbershop ...he´s not that good but he´s there in a pinch.
S is a subway stop.  I can´t tell you how nice it is to have one that close.
W is a very big sidewalk cafe ...there are too many others to show on the map.
Y marks two locations where I can pay any utility bills that don´t yet accept online payment.

The big avenues are great for busses and taxis and loads of shopping of all kinds.  The big park is beautiful and usually has some sort of art or history or cultural instalation. 

I´ve only listed the places that I go to regularly.  There just isn´t space to include all the banks, little hardware and appliance stores, the shoe repairs, nightclubs and restaurants, coffee shops and lunch counters, bookstores, police stations, doctors, dentists, veterinarians and pet stores, and more.

...and it´s nothing special.  Anyone in any neighborhood in Buenos Aires can tell you the same kind of story.

Buenos Aires:  urban living at its best.

4 comments:

Mike Wegner said...

I tried to make this point in my blog a couple years ago, but I think you did a much better job explaining the advantages of urban density. :-)

http://www.mtweg.com/2009/09/around-block.html

yanqui mike said...

WOW, those two posts are identical!

Mike, I swear I don´t remember seeing your 2009 post ...but if I did, it sure as hell left a big impression on me!

At any rate, we seem to like the same things.

Thanks for the comment and I hope louche-around some sidewalk café with you soon,
Mike

Ivo Michalick said...

Vry interesting, and it helps to explain why New York and Buenos Aires are my two favorite cities in the World! There´s a lot happening in a small area, and most of the time you can go to places by walking! Oh, and cabs and subways are just great in both places!

I have plans to one day live in one of these two cities. Since my wife is not a big fan of New York and we live in Brazil I think Buenos Aires will be the one. We go there every year since 2005, and I am looking forward to our next trip in February.

Great work Mike!

Amber Reeves said...

I love this! I spent a year studying digital urban mapping and was so much more engaged with the simple, image based depictions of neighborhoods than with the highly technical mapping methods. Your map makes a lot of sense and your point about the convenience of urban density is spot on.
I'm moving to BA from Philly in October and look forward to making some of my own maps!
Thanks again for such a cool post.