Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Las Tortillas de Pancho Villa!

El General del Norte al Rescate Otra Vez!

I just got back from picking up a half a kilo of REAL Mexican tortillas ...and, man!, are they tasty!

Nope.  I didn´t just clear customs at Ezeiza and jump into Fred´s incredible Citroën C6 ...hot off a flight from Mexico.

I picked them up right here in Buenos Aires and you can too.

Las Tortillas de Pancho Villa is open for business and that's got to make a lot of expatriate mexicanos, yanquis ...and even columbianos ...very happy!

They are delicious!  And they are the real deal.

When I first got word that real corn tortillas (don´t even start with me regarding those crappy wheat flour things that people waste their time with!) were being made by an expat mexicana en Buenos Aires, I was a little suspicious.

They´re not easy to make if you don´t have the right stuff and the right equipment.  You may remember me ranting here that if somebody didn´t start doing it soon, I was gonna have to try my dumbass hand at the process ...no matter how involved!

Since then, we got really lucky with Mole in Belgrano, God bless them ...but their distance and the price have limited my taco/tostada/flauta joy.

Goodbye to all that, Las Tortillas de Pancho Villa are only 20 pesos per kilo and are very central to pickup ...and they deliver!  That will cut the cost of your tortilla jones by about 80%!

Don´t get confused with weird corn fritter pancakes desperatly concocted by expats out of smuggled dried masa flour or ...even worse ...polenta from the supermercado.  These are made with 100% nixtamalized corn and come in white or yellow ...and either with salt or not.

Beautiful warm Buenos Aires weather is coming and your thoughts will be running toward things to do with fresh veggies and savory meats.

...add a little salsa picante from El Tejano and we´ve entered a new epoch of eating here in the Paris de las Palmeras!

Go put your order in now and let me know how much you love them.

5 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

Mike .. I love you.
I was just whining not long ago about no real tortillas to make enchiladas or tacos with .. I haven't gotten to Mole yet .. now it is closer ?
Where in Palermo ? Can we just go there or do we have to call first?
I am definitely going tomorrow if it is possible... thank you !
muchas gracias, C

Fourpoint said...

All we need now is cheap, juicy LIMES!!
Doritos has a nice dipping chip now, perfect for Larry´s salsa.

Fred
www.silverstarcar.com

yanqui mike said...

Oh yeah. The price of limes has tripled in the last three or four years.

Maybe we need to load up my pickup at Mercado Central? Lemme know if your up for a trip together!

yanqui mike said...

Dear Broad,

You can best get them by becoming a friend on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Buenos-Aires-Argentina/Las-Tortillas-De-Pancho-Villa-En-Buenos-Aires/154674107891550?ref=ts

All the instructions are there for pickup or delivery.

Go be a fan! They are the real thing ...go get yourself some!

A kilo might sound like too much ...but once you start eating them ...a kilo is probably about right!

Write to me for my frijoles refritos recipe ...that will make them go even quicker!

Great tortilla make you feel like you´re back in civilization!

Notes From ABroad said...

Thank you Mike !
I have been emailing with G and we are ordering them today !
I am good with the refried beans , thanks ! :)
I have just been so wishing for the real corn tortillas..
chau, gracias..