Monday, January 19, 2009

Candidate Profiles: Marta Motta

Hello, I'm Marta Motta.

I'm honored to run for Secretary of Democrats Abroad Argentina. I appreciate your taking the time to get to know me a little better.


First of all allow me tell you that I fully I support the "Progressive Ticket" of:


Chairman: Yanqui Mike Skowronek
Vice- Chair: Deby Novitz
Secretary: Marta Motta (myself)
Treasurer: Frank Almeida
Counsel: Matthew Johnson

We are a progressive group devoted to action (there's never a shortage of words, is there?)

Let me to introduce myself.

All my life I've stressed the importance of education and political involvement. I like motivating youth and volunteered in public service to help disadvantaged youths gain the necessary preparation. On a more personal level I am family oriented, I'm a happy Mom and Grandma married to a professional world awarded musician.

I was born in Pergamino, Argentina and I moved with my husband to the US attracted by the ideals that have made America great and to give my kids the opportunity to live in the country of opportunities.

We arrived in LA and adopted our new home country in 1989 and I began to be involved in public service. While in California I worked as Community Representative for the Los Angeles Unified School District. I helped organize parents' centers and worked on their planning and development. I organized the first LAUSD Parent Center, at Mulholland Middle School, in the San Fernando Valley.

I regularly wrote columns for educational magazines and was invited also on a regular basis to talk on radio. On the business side, I worked as the General Manager of the music company "Maga Music".

In 2000 we moved from California and settled in Las Vegas where we finally had the opportunity to put down roots for 5 years. I joined several women's organizations and Latino organizations and worked campaigning with several labor unions.

I served as a Community Organizer in California and Nevada and I campaigned hard for Democrat candidates such as:

* Hilda Solis, Obamaís nominee US Secretary of Labor.
* Shelley Berkley, Congresswoman for Nevada, US House of Representative.
* Dina Titus, US Congresswoman for Nevada, Las Vegas 3rd District.
* Harry Reid, US Senator for Nevada, Majority Leader in the U.S. Senate
* Ruben Kihuen, Assemblyman District 11, Las Vegas, Nevada
* Estella Morales, Former Nevada Hispanic Democratic Caucus Vice-Chair and 2000 DNC Delegate.
* Ruben Zacarias, First Hispanic Superintendent of LA School District

Upon returning to Argentina from Las Vegas I joined Democrats Abroad Argentina. As your Secretary I will bring my organization skills, my energy, my experience and strong political links within the Democratic Party as well. Itís also my deep wish to help integrate American residents in Argentina with Argentineans by offering my knowledge on local issues.

I enjoy staying positive and bringing people together. I believe in collective teamwork and individual responsibility. I learned to work with courtesy under pressure and I am committed to equality, to labor causes and appreciation for education. Iím a hard worker and I feel very inspired and confident that 2009 political challenges are going to be democratically solved by our grassroots positive actions.

No comments: