Monday, January 19, 2009

Candidate Profiles: Deby Novitz

I have been a community organizer and invloved in politics since I was 17 years old. Once I earned the right to vote I never stopped. I have voted in every election regardless of where I lived. My grandparents instilled in me the right to vote is a privilege and I took that right very seriously.

My generation was the first to vote at 18. I began my activist career by registering my fellow high school students to vote and subsequently college students when I landed there in the fall of 71. It was the only way I felt we could make a difference to end the Vietnam war.

Throughout my life I have worked in every presidential election, senatorial, and on the local level for causes and local politicians that I believed in. I believe that every vote counts. It is the only way to make a difference. The last 20 years I lived in the US I lived in Oakland California.

I worked for the Democratic party helping to coordinate the Latino vote in the Furitvale district. On the community level I worked to keep our neighborhood safe and free of McDonalds. (Oh yes I did, and we won!)

You might say I have been a quilombera ( shit- disturber) my whole life and I don't plan to stop now that I live here. The politics of the United States has an effect on the whole world. Witness the meltdown that has happened with the Bush Administration. Our votes still count! It doesn't matter where we live, we still need to vote.

I believe that Democrats Abroad Argentina can continue to be one of the strongest supporters of the Democratic party outside of the country. I want to help continue that process. I know that if you elect me I will work hard for you. Why? Because that is how I am. I always give 200%. I would be honored to serve as Vice Chair of Democrats of Abroad Argentina. Please support the Progressive Ticket of

Chairman:Mike Skowronek
Vice- Chair: Deby Novitz
Secretary: Marta Motta
Treasurer: Frank Almeida
Counsel: Matthew Johnson

We want to support all the Democrats of Argentina, not just the Democrats who live in Recoleta or Palermo. I don't have the kinds of friends who can produce $400,000
dollar dinners for presidents, I have the kinds of friends who walk
precints, who knock on doors, who have people in their living rooms to
tell you what the candidates are like.

The Progressive Ticket wants the second season of DAA to work to get the Democrats in the rest of Argentina active in our organization. I want to help to make that happen.

OK, what do I do now? I came to Buenos Aires in 2004 after 18 trips from 2000 - 2004. I sold everything in the US. I am full time legal resident here. I have a bed and breakfast for tango dancers in my apartment. I teach English, I do translations....and of course...I dance tango If you really want to know more about me you can read my blog www.tangospam.typepad.com. It was picked as one of the world's 350 best blogs and is now highlighted on Globalpost.com and from time to time on Huffingtonpost.com. I hope Mrs. Sargent my 8th-10th grade English teacher is proud of me.

No comments: