Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Über Alles

Before the day gets completely away from me, I remember that it was 18JUN, too many years ago than I want to recall, that I enlisted in the US Air Force.

Since the creation of the USAF in 1948, the idea has been that the uniforms would be the LEAST military of any of the US armed forces. In fact, the very first ones were so non-military that they resembled nothing more than the then current issue of Greyhound Bus Drivers.

Among my group, we were the last issued the "Tropical Uniform" as part of our kit ...an almost comical khaki outfit with short sleeves, short pants and, get this!, kneesocks to be worn with our black oxfords. I loved it.

No more of that. Some brainy types with no memory or awareness of when we actually fought fascists has changed a few things for the Air Force ...including a motto that more than smacks of the very bunch we had been born to destroy

At least I hope it was just the Bush Bubble that caused this bit of naïveté. God forbid that they actually do remember and admire the ol' Luftwaffe.

I liked it better when we were not so easily confused with fascismo... in word ...and deed ...and style.

No comments: