Thursday, March 08, 2007

We can vote.

Good news and bad news. #1. It can be done. #2. I'm too late for the election this year.

My advice: don't be like Mike... if you have a DNI... get registered to vote this year so you can vote the next time.

Don't be too amazed. Buenos Aires has had a long tradition of allowing non-citizens to vote. I've read old travelogues going back to the 1820's or so that mention it.

The law that let's you vote here in the city is Código Electoral Nacional (Art. 25) and Ley Nº 334 (Art. 10) de la Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires Province has a similar provision but some provinces do not. Apparently, there were 10,000 foreign voters in the city and 265,000 foreign voters in the province as of 2005!

You won't be able to vote for President or other national offices.

Here in Capital Federal, just head on down to the Tribunal Superior de Justicia near the corner of 9 de Julio and Córdoba (Cerrito 760), show 'em your DNI, get fingerprinted electronically, and you're done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mike,

I did not forget about your post. I finally have it in my to do list. Next time I am down town I am stopping by to do this.

See ya at the next elections.

Saludos,
Frank