Thursday, April 14, 2011

Five Years of Yanqui Mike

It was different back in 2006 when I joined the ranks of the few Buenos Aires blogs...

...our fair ciudad was only beginning to be "discovered."  English was almost never heard in cafés and on street corners.

Flights were cheap from Yanquilandia as was just about everything here.

Argentine Beef was more than 80% grass fed (now it´s more than 80% feedlot) but a peso cost you 35¢ ...now a peso costs a US Quarter.

Blogging was king ...no Facebook and no Twitter.  I had a Vonage phone that cost me $30USD a month ...I get a year of Skype for that now.

Plaza Serrano (later Palermo Soho, and now just Soho) was still home to plumbers and auto repair shops.

Taxi drivers were starving on impossibly tiny fairs and busses charged as low as 60 centavos.  No Drinking Liberally, no Democrats Abroad Argentina, no Tortillas de Pancho Villa, no Salsa El Tejano!

Cattle prices were less than 50¢ a pound on the hoof ...now they are more than a buck!

I´d already been living here for 2½ years but, strangely, I really didn´t know anyone from North America.

That already had started to change in April of 2006.  You could feel it in the air; people were making Buenos Aires a tourist destination for maybe the first time ever!

What a blast it´s been!  Later this year, look for some big changes at yanquimike.com.ar as my missus and I move full-time to our now rip-roaring ranching concern.  It´s time to start spending more time there than in Capital ...and yer humble blog will reflect the change come the Argentine springtime.

Thanks, all of you tens of thousands of readers and visitors from all over the globe!  We love you madly ...and we´ll be showing you a new Yanqui Mike in a few months.

besos,
Mike

6 comments:

Unknown said...

5 More Years! 5 More years! (Sorry, election season is getting to me.)

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Change is good. Thanks for the past five years and looking forward to your new insights.

Alan Crabtree

Radio Ziggy said...

Congrats Mike! Your blog is always thought-provoking...all the best in this new stage!

Fer (from BA Cast)

yanqui mike said...

ZIG!

We here at Yanqui Mike Services will labor intensively! to keep the info coming from this great Capital City.

However! The reportage from deep within La Pampa will probably open some eyes.

This is a great big, beeeyoutiful country ...the countryside is ANYTHING BUT boring.

muac!
Mike

Manjit Bedi said...

Hi Mike,

I am glad I got to see you when I was last in BA. Have a good time at the Campo & I look forward to following your blogging from there.

Manjit

Anonymous said...

Mike-
Thanks for your intelligent and thoughtful writing. From here in Washington DC I enjoy every entry. I read your blog before our 5 day trip to BsAs and I read it after our trip. I think you provide a great service to others and an interesting perspective. Some people do extra for the good of others, and you seem that way to me.
Good luck and congratulations.
-Andy C in Washington DC