Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Always a Splendid Evening at Drinking Liberally Buenos Aires!

You always meet great and interesting people at Drinking Liberally Buenos Aires!

Tonight we got to meet Chicago Al and his lovely wife, Robin!

Al and Robin are visiting from Chicago and they were such wonderful and interesting company!  Robin is a native Chicagoan ...and Alex was born here in Buenos Aires ...but hasn´t been back until this visit ...since the 80's! ...and grew up in Brooklyn, the son of Argentine immigrant parents.

Wow!  If we´d all have stayed all night, I¨ll bet we couldn´t have even scratched the surface of all the great stories they have.  To make it even more interesting... this is Robin´s first visit to our fair shores!

Not enough for you?  They are budding restauranteurs back in the old country!  Still not enough?  They brought me 1.25 pounds of pure habanero pepper. (Late Update: this stuff is pure, exquisite pain.  A lifetime supply for more than one person ...but smoky and pungent like you know Habanero should be.  Must be fresh!)

Who´s my buddy?  Who´s my pal?  Who wants some?

Robin and Alex put the Liberal in Drinking Liberally tonight, ladies and germs.  You just don´t get that kind of full-blown liberal political thought from practicing capitalists just anywhere.  Progressives everywhere, take heart!

Later, we were joined by Steve Gatward (www.letsmeatontheavenue.com) and friends.  Steve is a butcher from Wash DC!  You already know that´s a subject near my heart!  Any fans of grass fed beef would have enjoyed the conversation.  Alex and Robin would have loved it especially!

Well... thanks to all, especially stone-carver, Dave and his wife, artist Jamye Smith (www.studiodio.blogspot.com) for anchoring the evening.

Come meet us ALL at the Annual General Meeting of Democrats Abroad Argentina, THIS Wednesday at 3pm, at Urban Station, El Salvador 4588 (at Malabia) in beautiful Palermo here in Buenos Aires!

Members only!  Join at: https://www.democratsabroad.org/user/register ...then come to the meeting and election!  I´ll be buying beers as soon as the polls close!

And don´t forget that Drinking Liberally Buenos Aires lives to engage good liberal thought and debate every week!  Same time, same place. www.drinkingliberally.com.ar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me my amazing trip to Buenos Aires, a fascinating city where you can find much kind of activities to do. Like you I walk a lot every day, discovering all the amazing things that this magical city haves.
I took a week Spanish course (book trough http://bsas4u.com/) in Buenos Aires during my three weeks vacations in the city and it was great because it allowed me to arrange all about when to start the course, at what level I should start and which days I would go. I started the course a week after having reached to Buenos Aires, and I only had to go two hours per week. The schedule was the best thing; because it allowed me to do all the things I had in mind. Finally it helped me to talk on the street, to know more about the culture, to order a good slice of pizza and great steaks, and also to make friends!

Joanne

Alex Rotela said...

Mike, we had a great time in B.A. I loved meeting you, your lovely wife and your friends. I only wish we could have hung out longer. The unfortunate part about short trips is that you end up trying to fit to many things in. I look forward to future trips,getting to know you guys better and reading your blog. Thanks again for the drinks! Let me know how your first meal with that habanero goes! Un Abrazo grande desde Chicago! Chicago Al

yanqui mike said...

Come back soon, Al and Robin! We loved meeting you. Everybody´s curious about the habanero ...I´ll let you know!

Love,
Mike and Alicia