Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Accept no substitutes...

I was tickled to show my wife that her favorite hot sauce in the whole world is currently the subject of the #1 emailed story in today's New York Times. Great story. Lot's of surprises, too.

I think that I first ran into Huy Fong's Sriracha on Argyle St. in Chicago's Little Saigon ...after discovering my first bowl of pho a couple of days earlier. That setting and the Vietnamese name on the bottle always made me think it was from Vietnam.

Sriracha, however, turns out to be the name of a seaside town in Thailand. The inventor is ethnically Chinese ...from Vietnam. And the bottle has always said "Made in USA" (the tears in my eyes probably kept me from picking-up on that last detail.)

Yep, the stuff is as yanqui as Mike.

1 comment:

Fourpoint said...

Mike,

I think those brand is available in Chinatown, at the bigger grocery stores. I see a lot of Vietnamese mix that with a sweet bean sauce and dip the meat from the pho in there...

Fred