Wednesday, January 14, 2009

They're here...

...the new bus fares, that is.

There's still a lot of confusion. I had thought that the fares would increase on Monday ...but I paid 90¢ all day. Today I noticed everybody in front of me paying $1.20 ...but the machine came up $1.10 for me after telling the driver what street I was going to.

La Nacion notes a lot of confusion among their readers. Depending on the zone boundaries that you do or don't cross, your fare will vary. Some readers are reporting that their return trips between the same two bus stops are diferent. Still some others contend that the fare varies depending on the driver.

If we ever get a hold of the zone maps, we'll post them here.

What was your collectivo experience today?

4 comments:

Fourpoint said...

Mike

We went from Recoleta to Retiro today to do a tramite at migraciones. Since this was our 3rd time, we used to pay 90c, today they charged us 1.20 and Karina questioned it? I said "Maybe they changed the zones?" She was expecting $1.10

Then we took the subte, and we both broke 5's (not 2's) to get monedas, my cajera gave me one less peso by "mistake?" After I questioned her she game me the precious moneda, and Karina's cajero kinda kept the extra moneda very close to his side of the window...I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here.
Side note Mike, your be nice to local vendors strategy paid off again, my vegetable guy and carnicero gave me monedas (cambio) when we got short. There ARE monedas in the city.
Fred
fourpointreport.blogspot.com

Alan Patrick said...

I think someone in the La Nacion comments explained it quite well.. the distance/sections for the minimum price has changed to be like it used to back when the minimum price was 75 centavos, and the next price up was 80 centavos - back then it was extremely rare to ever get a 75 centavo journey as it was only for very short trips, and the same now for the 1.10 journey. When the minimum was changed to 90 centavos for the last year or so, the minimum journey distance was increased, but that has now disappeared. So basically, unless just going a few blocks and not crossing any "sections", the real minimum is now 1.20, and for slightly longer journeys/going through more than two sections 1.25 (I think), though not sure of the distances, and of course the sections change with each bus line (and I never really got my head round those anyway).

Fourpoint said...

Mike,
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere before but www.comoviajo.com looks like a promising site...you can put in address etc and it tells you the best way to go-colective subte etc
Fred
www.fourpointreport.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I paid 1.20 for a short (like really short), and 1.25 for a longer trip (from the centro to around Caballito).