Saturday, May 05, 2007

That's my boy!

I know, I know. I told you that I am become death... I mean farmer. But there's still a few hectares left for some good ol' ranchin'! Or, more accurately, some hi-tech ranching.

Parenthetically, I'd like to share something with you: I'm an old man... and it's been a good life. Hey, I'm not dyin' or anything! But it's just that... even though you are aware, in advance, that life is unpredictable, the road is long with many a winding turn... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... even when you know that goin' in... and you may have had a few big surprises before... and a few hairpin turns and an alien abduction or two along your path... I just want to whisper something to you; I hope it may help you... just as you are thinking that life can't possibly get any weirder: "¡YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW WEIRD IT CAN GET!"

I just spent over two hours with a salesman and his full-size, glossy, 4-color... bull semen catalog. He even gave me a copy on CD-ROM. And you can even see it here on the intertubies.

Never in my life did I ever think that event would/could/should ever happen. But it did. So it goes.

And it was actually very cool. We're looking to introduce some new blood into the herd and this was like the amazon.com or netflix of prize Argentine Aberdeen-Angus bull flesh, second to maybe only the home counties of Scotland as the best in the world (actually, when the Scottish needed to revitalize their national herd they looked to Argentina as the source of the only specimens suitable for the job.)

I'm positively mad about Max (above) but his spooey, if you will, is way too expensive to do all of our sweet young virgins. But I'll be springin' for a half dozen pops for the comeliest of our hacienda... then watching closely over the next 9 months and beyond.

You might recognize the name of the stud farm (or however it is you say cabaña in English!), Las Lilas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is certainly a beautiful animal. We had a small herd of black angus when I was a kid, but not in that league!

Not to quibble, but I don't think I would spend the money to inseminate sweet young virgin heifers --- go with proven heifers, a little older and more experienced. Max won't know the difference!

Marc said...

You know, that's just great Mike. I try to do a little light reading on Sunday and end up with some post about bull semen that revolves around a poor sod named Max.

Pollo is on the menu this week.

yanqui mike said...

A.A.! I'm glad you've joined the strike! (♫There once was a Union Maid!♫) Not buying beef (if there actually is any to be bought right now) would actually help us.

Barbara makes an astute observation. We already have some tremendous bulls but we're looking for some with lower birth weights for this tremendous crop of heifers we are blessed with this year. So we're looking for some "pinch-hitters" for their first offspring.