Thursday, May 31, 2007

NPR profiles Kirchner

NPR* has a quite lengthy post from yesterday on the completely unexpected level of economic recovery in Argentina under President Kirchner (...con audio para practicar tu inglés!)buenos aires yanqui mike politics hugo chavez venezuela economy south america
As a former addict of the network and it's affiliate WBEZ, I can say that long print pieces like this used to be rare on their website. So I was surprised after a couple of years abstinence to find this detailed profile.

Surprised because I slowly weaned myself from my habit when I realized that they were never going to give Bush the same treatment they gave Clinton. This article, however, paints K broadly in the Argentine center with emphasis on the Peronist enigma of being difficult to peg as left or right. Previously, saying anything good about K was considered tantamount to criticizing GWB. With Bush's polls at an unbelievable 28% or so... maybe NPR has decided to grow a pair.

I probably won't listen to the audio, tho. Tell me what you think.

*Nice Polite Republicans

2 comments:

Lizzz said...

I have an english student who is a journalist. we listened to the piece on kirchner and he liked it a lot. he thought it was a very fair portrayal of him and was surprised on how unbiased it was. he was also very excited about the idea of the united states doing a piece on kirchner.

yanqui mike said...

Thanks, Lizzy!

I was obviously surprised as well.

Drop me a line sometime at letters@yanquimike.com.ar

Mike