Thursday, February 08, 2007

Whaddam I gonna do with all this beef?

In case you were wondering what I was talking about in my most recent post to mention beef, you can read a little from the cattlenetwork.com (yes, darling. There IS a cattlenetwork.com) which puts up a wire from Dow Jones on the sad state of the beef producer in La Argentina.

The average Argentine eats about 66 kilograms of beef, the highest rate of consumption in the world. In March, President Nestor Kirchner banned all beef exports to prevent soaring domestic and international demand from pushing beef prices up. The restrictions were progressively eased and now exports are limited to about 70% of 2005 levels. In addition, the government has been circulating a list of reference prices for certain cuts, which vendors at the nation's principal slaughterhouse, Liniers, are "recommended" to honor.

However, volumes at Liniers have plunged, as farmers turn to smaller regional markets or are withholding stocks due to the price controls.


In January, just 85,698 cattle were processed at Liniers, compared to 151,579 during the same period last year, according to the Agriculture Secretariat.
Those last two figures should give you an idea of how bad it's gotten. We're doing the same thing...withholding animals from sale and selling at more local auctions rather than send them to the tremendous old Mercado de Liniers up in the Buenos Aires barrio de Mataderos.

If I was K, I might be doing something along the same lines... hoping that maybe the ranches will eventually fill up with so many cows that there will be enough to both export and keep local prices low.

But I can't help but think that this will hurt the industry in the long run. If the day comes when the Aussies take the title of world's biggest beef eaters (they already are the world's biggest meat eaters) I can't help but think that the current policy won't be considered to have backfired.

I have no idea if it's related or not but I have not been able to buy a fine bife de chorizo in my cheto supermarket for the last few days.

Argentina's beef producers reduced investment by $300 million in 2006, down 33% from a year earlier, according to the Argentine Rural Society, or SRA.


Beef producers have cut investment in infrastructure, pastures, genetics, fertilizers and other inputs in response to the government measures, according to the SRA.

Anybody wanna buy a cow?

5 comments:

Marc said...

>buy a fine bife de chorizo

If this keeps up I'm going vegetarian. Luckily its lamb season so I can hold off for a little longer.

yanqui mike said...

Mmmm...lamb. Yummy. We used to keep sheep around just for the occasional weekend asado. I miss them.

I'm serious! If my Disco gets any lomo or bife de chorizo at all...it disappears before I ever get there.

Have you really noticed that too???

Something has to give. The volume at Mercado de Liniers is unbelievably low.

None of the good hotels and restaurants are going to go-without. The supermarkets would be the first to suffer.

All our cattle are organic Angus. I'm thinking about selling them by subscription to expats!

yanqui mike said...

BTW, asadoargentina.com has the cleanest, sweetest logo around.

Marc said...

Decent Bife de chorizo is impossible to find. Lomo isn't too hard to get but usually comes as wet-aged--I think that's the norm though.

But like you said the restaurants and hotels are sucking all the good stuff up. The quality is just horrible. Bife ancho looks like a piece of fat with a little meat attached most of the time. If the meat isn't fat-enriched it looks like it comes from cattle that puts runway models to shame.

Same with centolla. Had this awesome awesome bowl of centolla with cream and parmigiana at a restaurant the other night. Huge whole chunks of fresh tasting meat. The stuff you find in shops comes as shredded body meat with some small leg pieces that overall taste like it was packaged a year ago. Let's just give the leftover scraps to the masses.

That all being said, I really don't know how the system works down here with beef. I think some comes locally but maybe only in summer. A lot of the carnicerias get their meat once a week and when that happens you better be waiting at the door when the truck arrives or else.

>I'm thinking about selling them by subscription to expats!

I think I'll buy one just to get a nice entraña. Maybe you should add a marketing edge like you feed them beer and give them sake massages.

>asadoargentina.com has the cleanest, sweetest logo around.

Thanks but it's a little too clean, yours is more creative.

Anonymous said...

I've been vegetarian/pescatarian for over 10 years now. I never liked read meat to begin with and I've never had pork in my life.