Thursday, November 30, 2006

...more new flowers

I've never seen these before.

These plants are called tunas and are in full bloom. They are obviously a cactus and wiki has an interesting write-up on them.

I've seen the plants before, of course, near the monte, by the casco. They are very established. But I've never seen them in bloom.

This picture may give you a clue as to why. That wire is an electric fence that we erected early this year. Apparently, the horses are great fans of the fruit...me, too! I carefully peeled one and it was delicious.

Before the wire, they never had a chance to bloom...the horses always got them first.

The blooms are SO bright and vivid that, from a distance, it looked like a giant orange tree had fallen over.

3 comments:

99 said...

see yourself at the Wiki!!!
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Opuntia_ficus-indica

thanks for all the fish

99 said...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Opuntia_ficus-indica

thanks for all the fish

Marcela said...

I just love these flowers. Specially when they're full of bees, sorrounding the plant like a cloud...