Saturday, May 13, 2006

...a little more on the 5 Year Brick Wall (from Salon.com)

fiona said...
Interesting theorising, Mike. I do notice a tendency in myself to immediately ask "how long are you staying" when I meet someone new. Not necessarily because I think they will break my heart in any particular way, but often because they have a different agenda to the long-termers. A LOT of people zip through this town, and you can't develop meaningful relationships with all of them. Incidentally, interested in the Brick Wall theory. Where would I get my hands on more info on that one?
This phenom won't interest everyone but there is a significant number of us that have long term plans for BsAs...and this theory kinda throws some cold water on them.

I ran into the study a few years ago and, while I can't find it again yet, the conclusions stayed with me. As I mentioned before in a post, my dear aunt and uncle that set me on this expat trail (truth be told) lived and loved in Mexico for 4 years and 364 days. So I have strong suspicions that the theory is true.

I promised Fiona that I would dig up this study and send her some more on it.

In the meantime, I couldn't help but notice this from a Wednesday column in Salon.com about an expat in Sweden:
"For the past five years I have been living in Sweden...now I can't decide if I should stay or if I should move back to the U.S."
Nothing definitive there and everybody's story is different...but I thought it might keep you interested until I can locate some more.

3 comments:

fiona said...

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»